Originally posted 1/6/2014
On the quiet little side street in London I came across this sign: Give Way. I stopped for a moment and thought about the impact of those words. Give Way brings with it a power to choose and not just be swept away by the traffic or tides in our lives that can render us immobile or hopeless. Let me explain – when we are faced with the big things – a devastating illness, loss of work, financial hardships, loss of a loved one or changes others want to make to our lives, it is so easy to feel helpless and out of control.
For others, it is not being hopeless, but perhaps feeling that we need to fight back, chasing elusive opponents and circumstances we cannot change. We feel powerless because the target is too big or too scary. So we give in or give up.
Which brings me back to Give Way – it is different from giving in. Sometimes it is best to step back, yield to the realities in our lives and go into problem solving, not fighting the tide. Here are some ways to get back in control:
- Look for options. There are always options.
- Assess your strengths. You have more than you realize.
- Look for potential solutions. Take off the blinders and get creative.
- Become active in moving forward. Action is the most powerful tool you have.
- Trust that what is in our lives is something we can manage, and that it shows up to teach us something we need to learn.
- There is real freedom and personal power In acceptance and reassuring and moving on. We get to be creators of our present and of our future if we actively choose to stop being victims of our circumstances.
So next time you are faced with a very difficult hardship or even a small bump in the road, know that there is a way to yield and to steer around the bump. To Give Way brings out your best self, knowing you have choices and skills and experiences that will allow you to flow in the right direction – to more happiness and joy in your life.